The early signing period began on Wednesday as countless student-athletes across the country signed their letters of intent to continue their acadmeic and athletic careers after high school.
Among them was 6-foot-11 Nebraska basketball commit Brady Heiman from Platteview High School in Springfield, Nebraska.
— Jacob Padilla (@JacobPadilla_) November 8, 2017
"It feels great," Heiman said. "It's amazing. Everything's taken care of, everything's ready."
Heiman was one of eight Trojans who signed their letters of intent on Wednesday morning at the school signing ceremony, an impressive figure for a school of just under 400 students and a senior class of just under 100. Even more impressive is the fact that three of them signed with Diviision I schools.
Wednesday was a big day for Platteview boys basketball coach Tim Brotzki, as four members of his basketball team as well as his daughter all signed to play at the next level. In addition to Heiman, Nate Thayer signed with Division II Wayne State, Rayshon Hvaldt signed with NAIA Midland and Matt Kingston signed to play golf at Northeast Community College. Brotzki's daughter, Payton, signed to play basketball at Creighton.
"It's an exciting time, obviously," Brotzki said. "It's also a little bit bittersweet since this is the last year I get with the three basketball players and my daughter. We're excited for the upcoming year, basketball-wise. I think we're going to have a good team led by Brady and Nate and Rayshon and it's going to be a fun year."
High school tryouts begin on Monday in Nebraska, meaning the season is just around the corner. The Trojans bring back their top nine scorers led by Heiman in the middle and a 20-point-per-game scorer in Thayer, and Platteview should be one one of the favorites to take the Class B title.
"I'm really excited," Heiman said. "I think we have a good chance to go to state and hopefully win it."
Heiman wasn't the only Nebrasketball commit to sign on Wednesday, however. Bishop O'Connell (Virginia) point guard Xavier Johnson also put pen to paper.
Officially a Husker!! ✍🏾#GBR
— Xavier Johnson “1” (@TheXavierJ0) November 8, 2017
Nebraska still has two scholarships left for 2018. The early singing period ends on Nov. 15 and the regular signing period begins on Aprill 11, 2018.
- P Caleb Feekin (Papillion-La Vista)
- SS Drew Gilin (Millard South)
- P/SS Colby Gomes (Millard West)
- P Kyle Perry (Millard South)
- P/SS Shay Schanaman (Grand Island)
- SS Spencer Schwellenbach (Saginaw, Michigan)
- P Bo Blessie (Midland, Texas)
- IF Cameron Chick (Rocheport, Missouri)
- G Leigha Brown (Auburn, Indiana)
- G Sam Haiby (Moorhead, Minnesota)
- F Kayla Mershon (Chanhassen, Minnesota)
- F Ashtyn Veerbeek (Sioux Center, Iowa)
- Tristan Nelko (Plymouth, Minnesota)
- IF Carson Fischer (Lincoln Southwest)
- OF Peyton Glatter (Millard South)
- C/OF Anni Raley (Clovis, California)
- P Karlee Seevers (York)
- P/IF Courtney Wallace (Papillion-La Vista)
- P Lindsey Walljasper (Manteca, California)
- Mason Meier (Elkhorn South)
- William Gleason (Lincoln Southwest)
- Victor Moreno Lozano (Madrid, Spain)
- OH Capri Davis (Mansfield, Texas)
- S Nicklin Hames (Knoxville, Tennessee)
- L Megan Miller (Alexandra, Indiana)
- MB Callie Schwarzenbach (Kearney, Missouri)