The Nebraska men’s basketball nonconference schedule is set. The program released the full slate on Tuesday afternoon.
The schedule includes two exhibitions, four games against other high-major teams and seven games against low-to-mid-major opponents. Nine of the regular season games will take place at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Huskers will play one true road game and one neutral site game.
The conference challenge games (Creighton in the Gavitt Games and North Carolina State in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge) had previously been announced. The series against Kansas State originally scheduled to start last season got moved back a year because of the pandemic and the PBA part of the home-away-neutral three-year series will take place this season.
The fourth high-major game will be against Auburn as part of the Holiday Hoopsgiving event in Atlanta. The Tigers lost two starters to the NBA Draft including freshman star point guard Sharife Cooper but return two double-digit scorers in Allen Flanigan and added a 5-star power forward commit in Jabari Smith and a four-man transfer class headlined by former North Carolina big man Walker Kessler.
For the second straight year, Nebraska will stay home for its multi-team event as Southern, Tennessee State and South Dakota will visit Lincoln in late November. The Huskers faced the Coyotes, who finished second in the Summit League and return three starters, in the Golden Window Classic this past season.
After exhibitions against NAIA Peru State and Colorado, the Huskers will open the regular season against senior guard Kobe Webster’s former team in Western Illinois. The Huskers will close out the nonconference slate against Kennesaw State, and Sam Houston State and Idaho State will visit Lincoln along the way.
The full schedule can be found below.
- Wed., Oct. 27: Peru State (exhibition), Pinnacle Bank Arena
- Sun., Oct. 31: Colorado (charity exhibition), Pinnacle Bank Arena
- Tues., Nov. 9: Western Illinois, Pinnacle Bank Arena
- Fri., Nov. 12: Sam Houston State, Pinnacle Bank Arena
- Tues., Nov. 16: Creighton (Gavitt Games), Pinnacle Bank Arena
- Fri., Nov. 19: Idaho State, Pinnacle Bank Arena
- Sun., Nov. 21: Southern (MTE), Pinnacle Bank Arena
- Tues., Nov. 23: Tennessee State (MTE), Pinnacle Bank Arena
- Sat., Nov. 27: South Dakota (MTE), Pinnacle Bank Arena
- Wed., Dec. 1: at NC State (Big Ten/ACC Challenge), Raleigh, N.C. (PNC Arena)
- Sat., Dec. 11: vs. Auburn (Holiday Hoopsgiving), Atlanta, Ga. (State Farm Arena)
- Sun., Dec. 19: Kansas State, Pinnacle Bank Arena
- Wed., Dec. 22: Kennesaw State, Pinnacle Bank Arena
Jacob is in his third year with Hail Varsity covering Husker athletics. He has also written extensively for SB Nation’s Bright Side of the Sun and The Creightonian. His love of basketball can best be described as an obsession and if you need to find him, he’s probably in a gym somewhere watching, coaching or playing hoops.