Photo Credit: John S. Peterson

Report: Myrtle Beach Invitational Out, Lincoln Bubble In for Huskers

September 28, 2020

Nebraska won’t participate in the Myrtle Beach Invitational after all. The invitational was previously moved to Orlando, alongside a number other tournaments, but the Huskers will stay home instead.

Nebraska is preparing to host its own bubble in Lincoln during the first week of the season, per CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1308809048997888001

The NCAA Division I Council recently voted on Wednesday to make Nov. 25 the official start date for the 2020-21 season. The Myrtle Beach Invitational was originally scheduled to take place Nov. 19-22, in Conway, South Carolina. Nebraska would have joined Pittsburgh, Missouri, Dayton, Utah State, Loyola (Chicago), Charlotte and Penn for the invitational.

A Nebraska spokesperson confirmed that the Huskers have withdrawn from the Myrtle Beach Invitational.

“We can confirm the report that Nebraska will not participate in the 2020 Myrtle Beach Invitational,” the statement read. “We will work within the framework provided by the Big Ten Conference to build our 2020-21 men’s basketball schedule, including any potential nonconference games.”

When recently asked if Nebraska would host a bubble if college basketball moved that direction, Athletic Director Bill Moos told the Lincoln Journal Star he would be open to it.

“I’ll host anything I can,” Moos said. “Lincoln, Nebraska, is one of the safest places in the country, and I’ve been pointing that out for a long time. We’ve got a great facility. How many people we could have in there, I don’t know.”

It’s only the beginning as programs try to figure out the plan for nonconference games, but Nebraska seems to have found an answer to one piece.

  • Never miss the latest news from Hail Varsity!

    Join our free email list by signing up below.

Tags:

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap