Hail Varsity is looking for a staff writer to join our team for the upcoming season. Interested or know someone who would be? Details of the job and what we’re looking for are below.
If you ever wanted to know what it takes to stand out on a crowded beat, this is the job for you. We are looking for a staff writer to provide primary beat coverage of Nebraska football, women’s basketball and baseball for Hail Varsity. There will be other duties as assigned, of course, and that beat coverage will take all of the forms you probably expect––breaking news, enterprise reporting, feature writing, game coverage, recruiting—in all of the formats you probably expect, including print, web, podcasts and video. You will be surrounded by a close-knit editorial team committed to helping you provide the best coverage possible. That requires the right candidate be located in the Lincoln or Omaha metro areas. The job also requires occasional travel, as assigned, for road events.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Some experience on a sports beat, though if you lack that don’t let it stop you from applying. We’re open-minded.
- We will need to see some clips, though.
- Experience with a computer is pretty much a requirement. Some experience with video and audio editing software is a plus.
- Strange ideas that can help our coverage continue to grow. Passion projects are appreciated here (within reason).
- A knack for getting things done. There are deadlines. News breaks at odd hours. Recruits commit on holidays. The right candidate knows that coming in and is up for it.
- A shared excitement over the fact that we all at one point—perhaps long ago, perhaps not—dreamed we’d get paid to cover sports and share stories. This job, like all jobs, challenges that spark from time to time, but we have worked to build a team that remembers—especially in those times—“we get to do this.”
401k, dental, life insurance, medical and vision
ABOUT HAIL VARSITY
Hail Varsity has covered Nebraska athletics since 2012. We publish 10 monthly issues a year with a double issue in June while producing original web content, podcasts and video. The magazine has twice been a finalist for Great Plains Magazine of the Year, but has yet to win which is why we need you. Hail Varsity is owned by Hurrdat, an Omaha-based media, marketing and entertainment company.
If you’re interested in applying, head to ZipRecruiter.com.