Nebraska has officially parted ways with running back Maurice Washington, a source familiar with the situation told Hail Varsity on Friday. The Huskers later confirmed the news in a release.
“The Nebraska football program announced today that running back Maurice Washington has been dismissed from the Husker team,” the release said. “Washington is expected to enter the NCAA transfer portal soon.”
The news comes after Coach Scott Frost’s latest update on Washington at Nebraska’s signing day press conference on Dec. 18. Frost said at the time that the Huskers planned to meet with Washington the following day and “try to come to a little resolution on what is going to happen.”
A little over two weeks since that announcement, Nebraska has its answer to the situation.
Washington was indefinitely suspended from the Huskers on Oct. 20 of this past season. He had previously been suspended for the first half of the Northwestern matchup on Oct. 5 due to a violation of team rules.
“I wish things would be a little different,” Frost said following the Oct. 20 suspension. “Listen, Coach [Tom] Osborne was this way. He wasn't quick to crumble kids up and throw them away. Some of the kids that are in some of those situations, if they're gone out of this program, that road doesn't lead to very many good places. As long as I'm here, I'm going to try to help these young men as much as I can. That's the promise I make to their parents when I sit in their living room and tell them we're going to try to help them no matter what. There's certain things that they know if they do, I'm not going to help them and they're on their own.
“But I want what's best for all these guys, so we're going to try to continue to help them as long as they can be helped, and there always comes a point where you have to throw your hands up and say, we tried. But until then, we want to do what's right by them because I think that's the right thing to do. We certainly tried to do everything we can for Mo, and hopefully it works out well."
Washington also faces a pending legal situation in California. He faces a felony charge of possession of a video of a person under the age of 18 engaging in sexual conduct. He is also charged with one misdemeanor count under California’s “Revenge Porn” law for sending that video to the victim to inflict emotional harm.
The case has been pushed back five times over the last seveal months, with a California judge ordering Washington appear personally in court on Jan. 10.
Washington played in 18 games during his career at Nebraska. He finished with 753 yards rushing on 127 carries, 36 catches for 383 yards and seven total touchdowns.