In accordance with a new mandate from the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department, masks will be required for all attendees and staff at all indoor sports venues at the University of Nebraska through the end of September.
The LLCHD Directed Health Measure took effect Thursday, Aug. 26, and runs through Sept. 30. There were 385 new COVID-19 cases and seven deaths in Lancaster County, according to the LLCHD, through the first three days of this week. The LLCHD reports that 70% of the county’s population 16 and older has been vaccinated.
Nebraska’s new policy will require masks for all attendees at Nebraska volleyball matches at the Devaney Center through September. Fans are asked to bring their own as only a limited number of masks will be available at the door. The Huskers’ season opener against Tulsa on Friday was canceled due to COVID protocols impacting the Golden Hurricane. Nebraska plays Colgate later that day.
The face covering mandate does not apply to ticketed fans for Husker soccer matches as Hibner Stadium, an entirely outdoor venue for attendees, but Nebraska is strongly recommending fans to wear masks.
Same for football and Memorial Stadium, though the university release stated fans are “strongly encouraged to wear an appropriate face covering (covering both the nose and mouth) when on campus property.” The DHM applies as follows for various locations at Memorial Stadium:
- Concourses – Masks are strongly recommended in concourse spaces
- Lobbies – Masks are strongly recommended upon entry and required when utilizing elevators or in common indoor premium spaces
- Elevators – Masks are required when using an elevator
- Suites – Masks are strongly recommended for this cohort group when inside the respective suite and required when outside in the hallways and lobbies of the suite level
- Club Areas – Masks strongly recommended when sitting in the outdoor seats and required when inside the indoor portion of the club level
- Press Box – Masks are required by media and other personnel on this indoor level
- Seating Bowl – Masks are strongly recommended in any seating area outdoors
The Huskers have two home football games in September, facing Fordham on Sept. 4 and Buffalo on Sept. 11.