By Owner and Pitmaster, Matt Burt of Phat Jack’s BBQ in Lincoln, NE
Fire up your smoker and get ready for some ribs! Matt Burt, owner and pitmaster of Phat Jack’s BBQ in Lincoln, shares his tips for smoking the perfect rack while you cheer on the Huskers. Add your favorite spices and sauces to your ribs to complete your tailgate!
Fans continue to join the Tailgate Team each week! Along with our sweepstakes and giveaways, we have also given away great prizes such as cutting mats, koozies, grill sets and gift cards. Sign up for free today for a chance to win prizes, receive special offers, and be included in sweepstakes for bigger prizes. Visit TasteoftheTailgate.com/Join to sign up!
- Your choice of a full rack of ribs
- Spice rub
- Favorite sauces
- Start your smoker. Whether you’re using wood, charcoal or pellets, starting it early and heating it to 250 degrees before you add your meat is very important.
- Make sure your meat is at room temperature before adding it to the smoker. If you’re smoking ribs, pull back the membrane on the slabs so the ribs aren’t tough after you’re through cooking.
- Add your rub to your meat and let it sit for at last 15 minutes so it soaks up as much flavor as possible.
- When your smoker is ready, add the meat. It’s best to leave the meat on the smoker for at least 4.5 – 5 hours – let the smoker do the work for you!
- When the time is up, take the meat off the smoker and let it rest for a few minutes before serving it. Add your favorite spices and sauces to your ribs to complete your tailgate!
For more great recipes and grilling tips, visit tasteofthetailgate.com.