Aug. 31 is the NFL’s deadline for final roster cuts, which means a number of former Huskers are finding out whether or not they made a team’s active roster. For those that have made rosters as of Thursday, teams can still make roster moves up until the start of the regular season. As for those that do not land on an active roster, a number will likely join the team practice squads or land elsewhere before games begin.
We’re keeping track of those former Huskers, and will update this post as we know more.
Here’s the full list of those who made 53-man rosters as of Thursday:
- Matt Farniok (Dallas Cowboys)
- Luke Gifford (Dallas Cowboys)
- Randy Gregory (Dallas Cowboys)
- Brenden Jaimes (Los Angeles Chargers)
- Rex Burkhead (Houston Texans)
- Maliek Collins (Houston Texans)
- Chris Jones (Tennessee Titans)
- Lavonte David (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
- Khalil Davis (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
- Ndamukong Suh (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
- Cethan Carter (Miami Dolphins)
- Jack Stoll (Philadelphia Eagles)
- Nick Gates (New York Giants)
- Ameer Abdullah (Minnesota Vikings)
- Stanley Morgan (Cincinnati Bengals)
- Andy Janovich (Cleveland Browns)
- Carlos Davis (Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Sam Koch (Baltimore Ravens)
- Richie Incognito (Las Vegas Raiders)
Of the names listed above, three are rookies: Jaimes, Farniok and Stoll. Farniok, who was drafted by the Cowboys in the seventh round of the 2021 NFL Draft, has been a standout through preseason.
“Stepping in at center, Farniok handled the opportunity well,” per the Cowboys. “He played the majority of the game in the middle and he’ll give the coaching staff something to evaluate as they make the final cutdowns.”
Stoll was also impressive during preseason, and received high marks for his performance so far.
Wow. TE Jack Stoll, who had a very good camp and preseason, has made the Eagles' 53 ahead of Richard Rodgers. What say, HuskerNation?
— Paul Domowitch (@pdomo) August 31, 2021
As for Jaimes, he quickly stood out in his debut with the Chargers. The fifth-round pick has looked like a natural at the guard spot for Los Angeles.
Here’s who was cut ahead of the deadline:
- Lamar Jackson (New York Jets)
- Darrion Daniels (San Francisco 49ers)
- Dedrick Mills (Detroit Lions)
- Dicaprio Bootle (Kansas City Chiefs)
- Freedom Akinmoladun (Tennessee Titans)
- Devine Ozigbo (Jacksonville Jaguars)
- De’Mornay Pierson-El (Denver Broncos)
Additional roster notes include Joshua Kalu, who is on the injured reserve with the New York Giants. He tore a pectoral muscle during a preseason game. Alex Lewis has retired from football. He was most recently with the New York Jets. Both Prince Amukamara and Brett Maher spent time with the New Orleans Saints but were cut during training camp. Neither have been picked up elsewhere as of now.
Erin is the Deputy Editor and Digital Marketing Strategist for Hail Varsity. She has covered Nebraska athletics since 2012, which has included stops at Bleacher Report, Cox Media Group’s Land of 10, and even Hail Varsity (previously from 2012-2017). She has also been featured on the Big Ten Network, NET’s Big Red Wrap-Up, and a varsity of radio shows nationwide. When not covering the Huskers, Erin is probably at Chipotle.