With Nebraska off this week, we asked our staff members to do something they don’t get to do very often––be a fan. More specifically, just pick a team and try to live-and-die a game for a week.
There were no hard-and-fast rules here. Rather it was an exercise in experiencing something else, an exercise in intently watching a different kind of football that what we obsess over on a weekly basis.
Our picks ranged from a current FCS power to a former one and looped in the Pac-12, Big 12 and a particularly tense Big Ten situation as well.
Here’s what we did with our bye weeks . . .
- Jacob Padilla on South Dakota State’s 42-23 win over Indiana State, a game that featured plenty of #NebraskaJacks.
- Derek Peterson decided to root for Kansas, taking on Texas, and probably got the best game of the week.
- Greg Smith got a good dose of déjà vu watching a UCLA team, very much in-progress as a program, get its second win of the season.
- Erin Sorensen signed up for the particular pain that is being a Michigan fan right now and went all-in.
- Brandon Vogel visited The Rock in Boone, North Carolina, to see Appalachian State calmly and cooly dispatch Louisiana-Monroe like an undefeated team should.