Photo by Aaron Babcock
Nebraska Football

Patrick O'Brien Granted Release from Nebraska

April 12, 2018
5,841

Update (11:30 a.m.): O'Brien officially announces his intentions to transfer. In the memo, he writes "it just wasn't the right fit" with the coaching change.


Third-year sophomore quarterback Patrick O’Brien was absent from Huskers practice on Thursday and has been granted a release from his scholarship, multiple sources confirmed to Hail Varsity

“You guys are aware about Patrick?” Quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco asked when he began his media availability. “He wasn’t at practice so you guys can get the low down on that.”

The low down, as Verduzco puts it, is that separation in the quarterback race began earlier in the week, with O’Brien getting the fewest reps of any of the Husker quarterbacks on Tuesday. Verduzco said redshirt freshman Tristan Gebbia, true freshman Adrian Martinez and walk-on sophomore Andrew Bunch were the top three.

(Central Florida transfer Noah Vedral is repping with the quarterbacks to “keep him mentally tuned” but must sit out the 2018 season and doesn’t factor into the competition.)

“There’s that speed, athletic aspect to it,” Verduzco said. “That was a large piece of the placement.”

When asked to comment on O’Brien’s abscence, offensive coordinator Troy Walters kept things brief.

O’Brien, a San Juan Capistrano, California, native, appeared in three games for the Huskers last season. He completed 18 of his 30 attempts for 192 yards and an interception. The departure leaves the Huskers with three scholarship quarterbacks on the roster, including Vedral.

 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.