Photo by John S. Peterson
Nebraska Football Recruiting

Nebraska Recruiting: The Impact of the New Redshirt Rule

September 27, 2018
4,207

Recruiting never stops and it's easy to miss the top stories day-to-day. Recruiting analyst Greg Smith recaps all things Nebraska recruiting news, analysis and more so you never miss a thing.


The transfer of Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant this week was perhaps the most high-profile case of someone taking advantage of the new four-game redshirt rule. Bryant decided to leave the Tigers' program before Coach Dabo Swinney had the opportunity play him in a fifh game, thus taking away Bryant’s chance at a redshirt this season.

I don’t mention this to suggest that Nebraska should pursue Bryant. I bring this case up because early in the week Nebraska coach Scott Frost was asked if the new redshirt rule would cause him to keep an eye out for more in-season transfers. 

“We’ll have a database, the NCAA is creating a database of kids that are filing for transfer," Frost said. "There’s nothing we can do about it after really Monday of the first game week, we can’t take any new kids into school. There’s nothing we can do about it now. That’s a discussion for recruiting and down the road.”

There had been some thought that the new transfer rule and players deciding to leave in-season would cause a wild, wild west of coaches watching the waiver wire. It doesn’t seem like that will be the case now but will be addressed as soon as the season is over. Going forward, the NCAA may need to look into whether or not players will be allowed to leave school within the season. However, some of the same coaches that may have depth issues due to players leaving will now gain players looking to transfer after the season is over.  

There may not be a perfect solution yet, but we also don’t have a firm grasp on what the problems are with the rule until we see it play out for a full season.

Recruit Watch

>> TJ Jones, a 3-star wide receiver from Lake City, Florida, is a player on the Huskers' radar in the 2019 class. The Columbia High School star tweeted out an update to his recruitment on Thursday morning.

I briefly exchanged messages with Jones to see if Nebraska was still in the mix to receive a visit from him. He told me that he is unsure at this time. 

>> On Wednesday evening, a new Nebraska defensive back offer went out for the 2019 recruiting class. St. Thomas Aquinas cornerback Myles Bell tweeted that he received an offer from the Huskers. 

Bell also holds offers from Virginia Tech, Cincinnati and Maryland among others. 

The staff will want to give themselves more options, so look for more defensive backs to surface on Nebraska’s board. And now that seniors have had the opportunity to play in at least four games, they have had the chance to show they have made big improvements since their junior seasons.

ICYMI

>>Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated took a deep dive into the past, present and future of option football.

 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.